Monday, November 25, 2013

The Ethics of Vintage Fur

Heather Salazar
Fur was a favorite of Marilyn Monroe's. www.thisismarilyn.com

photo credit: C. Tink
There's something not only lux, comforting, and warm about being wrapped in fur, but also charming, elegant, and old-world. For a long while in our recent history (about 50 or so years) fur has gone from a status symbol that everyone (including men) sought in the 1950's to something that marks a person out as a Cruella DeVil (who is, after all, named for being a Cruel Devil!). Just this year, in 2013, selling fur became illegal in some areas of California.

I was raised on AMC's Movie Classics and I love fur for its association with Old Hollywood glamour and 1950's innocence. I also love animals and I have to say, it is comforting to stroke fur and feel it against my cheek. However, I LOVE ANIMALS! and I've also been largely vegetarian for the past 13 years. The question arises: is it unethical to purchase and wear VINTAGE FUR? In this post, I'll just ask a few relevant questions that raced through my mind as I prepared to purchase a vintage fur this past March. I'll be taking up these questions and others in later blogs, as well as in a book on philosophy of fashion that I'm working on.

Heather Salazar
Modeling amidst other antiques as I contemplated my choice.
I found this beautiful vintage fur in an antique mall in Phoenix, Arizona with my sister, Summer, during my Spring Break this year, just an hour before I left for the airport. I have to say I was in a bit of a panic about whether to buy such a beautiful piece. Of course, people in Phoenix would sweat in a fur no matter the season, especially a long one like this. What's more, I found it in March, when the temperatures were already in the 80's. Living in Massachusetts, however, I felt that such a purchase could be justified, as it is cold about 7 months of the year in my area. Thankfully, I discovered that the fur was a beautifully made faux fur by a charitable designer, Adolph Schuman, and likely from the early 1970's as evidenced from the tags. However, I still felt that walking around in such a nice coat would likely give the illusion that I was wearing a real fur. And if it's unethical then isn't wearing a good replica also unethical because it is a way of promoting the real deal? If people mistook me for wearing a real fur, isn't it still in a way linking me to Cruella DeVil?  More precisely, does it say something negative about me that I would wear a fur? I joked with my sister that I could make a little hanging tag in back that said "This is a fake" to maintain both my cleanness of character and to discourage any paint or coffee throwing.

Heather SalazarI took it home, but have yet to wear it out and about town.

The Ethics Questions: To what extent is fur unethical? And how does it compare ethically to the eating of animals or wearing of leather? Is it unethical to purchase and wear a vintage fur? And does a well made faux fur give off the impression of a bad character or promote cruelty to animals?



1 comment:

  1. Liberals have a point when they point out how these furs came to be. But its been taken too far. its hypocritical. If its okay to eat meat, it only makes sense to use the rest of the animal as well, so as not to be wasteful...

    ReplyDelete